Pesticides are associated with lung, breast, brain, prostate, stomach, kidney, and pancreatic cancers along with Hodgkin's lymphoma and leukemia. Pesticides threaten reproductive health, contribute to underweight babies and birth defects.
The Pesticide Commmittee has worked successfully to have the District of Sechelt (DOS) pass a Bylaw to Ban the Cosmetic Use of Pesticides in February 2008. We needed this bylaw to help protect people, animals, and the environment from the harmful effects of pesticides.
With passage of the bylaw, the DOS allocated $8,000 over the next two years for an educational campaign to help people get their lawns and gardens off pesticides. They have provided convenient, free drop off sites for the pesticides. They have sponsored free workshops to help people use non-toxic products and plant so they don't need pesticides at all. They have also printed a brochure for residents that give good tips on alternatives to the toxins. Education, not enforcement, is the approach. While the DOS is doing its part to educate the residents, it's really up to all of us to eliminate pesticides and to get the word out to friends and neighbors. Most people want to stop using pesticides once they learn of the dangers, but often they don't know how to garden without pesticides.
There are alternatives. Personnel at most of the nurseries and garden supply stores on the Sunshine Coast have alternative products and can give suggestions. Just ask for and insist upon the non-toxic alternatives. This website provides links to other websites that provide copious materials. They could answer any question you have.
This bylaw will be reviewed in two years to see if it's effective and if there's community support. It's worth the effort for all of us to be part of the education campaign as individuals and as an organization."
From our blog
- 10 Easy Steps for Clean Air Day
- Clean Air Day Success!
- Sign the petition to ban cosmetic pesticides in British Columbia
- Gardening Expert Ed Lawrence Applauds Ontario Government’s Cosmetic Pesticide Ban
- Banning of weed and feed pesticides in Alberta
- Creating Gardens and Lawns for a Pesticide Free Future
- Upcoming events regarding the new herbicide/pesticide bylaw
- District of Sechelt Council adopted the Bylaw to Ban the Cosmetic Use of Pesticides
Other resources on this topic
News on this topic from around North America
- Stratford on new frontier of banning cosmetic pesticides
Wed, 14 Jan 2015 19:43:28 -0800 STRATFORD – Councillors here have found themselves on a new frontier of regulating and possibly banning cosmetic pesticides within town boundaries. A formal request to ban the use of cosmetic pesticides was presented to council by residents representing the group Pesticide Free P.E.I. during ...
- Price to whack weeds rises in Manitoba
Fri, 02 Jan 2015 05:33:14 -0800 Manitoba's cosmetic pesticide ban is now in effect across the province, which means paying to have weeds eliminated from your lawn will be more expensive in 2015 than in previous years.
- 'It's a shell game': critics say B.C.’s rules on cosmetic pesticides are looking pretty lame
Sun, 11 Jan 2015 14:59:27 -0800 Despite B.C’s reputation as a “green” province, environmental groups say that its rules governing cosmetic pesticide-use are weak and do little to protect the public. “It’s really disappointing and even surprising that B.C. finds itself among the laggers on this file,” said Lisa Gue, senior researcher and analyst with the David Suzuki Foundation.
- The Other Products Falling Oil Prices Are Making Cheaper
Tue, 27 Jan 2015 06:05:00 -0800 Paying under $2 a gallon for gas? Ka-ching! But gasoline is not the only product that gets less expensive when the price of crude oil falls.
- Protecting water supplies
Thu, 22 Jan 2015 18:30:24 -0800 Keeping our source water safe is a priority.
- Global Flavor and Fragrance Market Research Report 2014 Edition: MarketResearchReports.Biz
Wed, 14 Jan 2015 04:56:55 -0800 Market Research Reports.biz has announced the addition of a new research study on the global market for flavor and fragrance titled “Global Flavor and Fragrance Market Report 2014 Edition”, to its huge collection of research reports. (PRWeb January 14, 2015) Read the full story at http://www.prweb.com/releases/2015/01/prweb12444052.htm
- Takoma Park named semifinalist for $5M prize -- Gazette.Net
Tue, 20 Jan 2015 15:20:02 -0800 Takoma Park was chosen as one of 50 semifinalist cities and counties nationwide competing for $5 million in an energy-saving competition run by Georgetown University, officials announced on Jan. 14.
- Takoma Park named semifinalist for $5M prize
Wed, 14 Jan 2015 14:33:07 -0800 City to compete against Arlington and others for two years for energy savings
- World's top 10 poisons for assassinating people, in descending order of potency
Tue, 06 Jan 2015 22:56:57 -0800 Compiled from various sources, here is a list of top 10 poisons that are used as lethal weapons to kill.
- Is your make-up poisoning you? Miranda Kerr's beauty guru claims she lost her memory and hair at the hands of 'toxic ...
Fri, 23 Jan 2015 02:57:58 -0800 In the same way that we care what food we put into our mouths, Rose-Marie Swift maintains the same thought-process should go into our beauty regime.